Homemade Play Doh (playdough) with essential oils is a great way to promote creative play in children as well as teach them about colors and scents. In addition, the aroma from pure essential oils can help stimulate that part of the brain that controls emotions and retrieves learned memories.
You will need:
4 cups flour
2 cups colored water
2 cup salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
5-10 drops essential oils (optional, but recommended)
Large sauce pan
Food coloring (optional)
Recommended essential oils
- Wild Orange (uplifting)
- Peppermint (energizing)
- Lavender (relaxing)
- With the stove off, combine all ingredients (apart from essential oils) in a large saucepan. Using a spatula, stir until well mixed.
- Once combined, continue to stir ingredients over medium heat until it forms a ball. Be careful not to overcook as it will result in dry play dough.
- Remove from pan and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, divide dough in half or thirds as desired. Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil and 5-10 drops of food coloring (or as prefered) to each batch of dough. Knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.
Tips to make the best homemade play doh
- Use 100% pure essential oils of the best quality. Synthetics or impure essential oils can give headaches and other reactions. Find out what we recommend here.
Recipe adapted from https://doterra.com/US/en/blog-products