Adding a personal touch to your presents has never been easier with these aromatherapy salt dough ornaments. These ornaments can be given as a wrapping accessory on a present and can then easily be transformed into an ornament for your friends and family to enjoy for many years to come. Use this salt dough recipe and add pure essential oils to the ornaments to create a new aromatic dimension. There are multiple ways to decorate, too. You can stamp on an image, paint it, or leave it plain. Either way, your friends and family will love and adore this homemade gift.
You will need
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup salt
1.5 cups warm water
Drinking straw or toothpick
Your favorite essential oils (optional)
Stamps and paint (optional)
Recommended essential oils
- Douglas Fir
Baking the ornament will turn the dough slightly brown and may “puff” up some of the ornaments. If you prefer, you can also air dry the ornaments for 2-3 days to help the ornaments remain white and flat.
FREE E-book and natural health tips!
"Beginner's Guide to Essential Oils"
a 50 page practical guide on Essential Oils and how to use them
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (see Note above)
- Pour flour, salt, and warm water into large bowl.
- Knead until all ingredients are well combined and dough is smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until dough comes together.
- Roll out dough on floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a drinking straw or toothpick, make a hole in top of ornament for threading string.
- Place in oven until hard, approximately 1 hour or air dry for 2-3 days (see Note above)
- Once cooled, decorate with paint, string, or glitter. Add essential oils by placing two drops on the back side of each ornament and allow it to soak in.
Tips for an even better salt dough recipe
- Add some decoration to your ornaments by stamping them
- We only use 100% pure essential oils of the best quality. Find out what we recommend here.
Recipe adapted from https://doterra.com/US/en/blog-products